Artists of Month named
- Wanda Poulin, of Nova Scotia, Canada, and Joyce Groot, of Amherst Island, Lake Ontario, Canada, are the Artists of the Month for March at the Lehigh Acres Senior Citizens Center, at 219 Plaza Drive. For information, call 239-369-5355.
Club presents speakers
The Lehigh Acres Kiwanis Club meets at 7:30 a.m. in the Community Room at Hope Hospice, at 1201 Wings Way.
Future speakers include:
- Today, March 1: Bill Truax, with Project Dentist Care
- March 8: Stewart Ross, Kiwanian with Project Formula
Breakfast served at 7 a.m.
The public is invited to attend.
13th Annual Irish Festival planned in Cape Coral
The Cape Coral Irish American Club will host its 13th Annual Irish Festival on March 4 from noon to 8 p.m. and on March from 11 a.m. to 8 a.m. at Sun Splash Family Waterpark, at 400 Santa Barbara Blvd., Cape Coral.
It will feature Irish and Celtic music and entertainment, including the Screaming Orphans, Celtic Stew, Brendan Nolan, Rathskeltair, West of Galway, Kellyn Celtic Arts Irish Dance Academy, Ian Gould, Fiona Molloy, Lee County Pipes and Drums, and Brian Bonner.
There will be a children's tent with free face painting, games, and arts and crafts, as well as carnival rides for a fee.
Food and drinks on site; free parking.
Admission is $8 for adults, and children ages 12 and under are free.
No pets or coolers allowed.
For information, visit online at: www.capecoralirishamericanclub.org or call Mary O'Neill at 239-540-2161.
Free fishing seminars set
Bass Pro Shops of Fort Myers will host free seminars with national professional fishermen as part of its annual Spring Fishing Classic.
The free seminars will be held in the conservation room on the following dates and times:
- March 4 at 1 p.m.: Brent Chapman
- March 5 at 1 p.m.: Brent Chapman
For information, visit online at: www.bassproshops.com/fortmyers or call 239-461-7800.
Club to host Coin and Paper Money Show
The Fort Myers Coin Club will host a Coin and Paper Money Show on March 4 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Masonic Lodge, at 10868 Metro Parkway, Fort Myers.
Free admission and parking.
You can get a verbal appraisal of your coins and add coins to your collection at the show.
Dealers will also be present to buy coins and currency.
Band launches season
The Lee County Community Band will host a concert on March 5 at 3 p.m. in the Cape Coral High School auditorium, at 2300 Santa Barbara Blvd.
It is free and open to the public; donations will be accepted.
The next concert is April 2.
The band is comprised of professional and amateur musicians from Lee, Collier and Charlotte counties. It welcomes new members every year.
For details, call Norman Jones at 995-2097 or visit: www.leecountyband.org.
LCSO to hold safety seminars
The Lee County Sheriff's Office will host a series of educational seminars at the United Healthcare Medicare Store, at 6900 Daniels Parkway, Unit 23-C, Fort Myers.
The following dates and topics are planned:
- March 7: Take a virtual tour of the jail
- March 28: Vehicle Burglary and Theft - Is your vehicle a target?
- April 4: Personal Safety - At home and away
- April 25: Dive Team - CSI under water
- May 2: Internet Safety for Seniors
- May 30: Aviation - How criminals are found from the air
- June 6: Active Shooter for the Community - What should you do?
- June 27: Agriculture Unit - How do they protect the animals?
Each session will begin at 10 a.m. and last about an hour.
Seating is limited; reservations required at 239-561-9142.
Calusa Blueway Speaker Series presents guests
The Calusa Blueway Speaker Series will take place at 6:30 p.m. at the Wa-Ke Hatchee Recreation Center, 16760 Bass Road, Fort Myers, on the following:
- March 7: Gus Bianchi on "Paddling the Florida Circumnavigation Paddling Trail"
- March 11: George Burgess on "International Shark Attack File - Sawfish"
For information, call 239-432-2154 or visit online at: www.fortmyers-sanibel.com.
Primetimers to meet
Primetimers will host a membership meeting on March 7 at 6 p.m. at the North Fort Myers Public Library, at 2001 N. Tamiami Trail N.E., North Fort Myers.
Primetimers is a gay men's social organization for men only over the age of 21.
Community pool offers variety of classes
The Lehigh Acres Community Pool, at 1400 W. Fifth St., is heated and open year-round.
A range of swim lesson skill levels are offered, including adult beginners; all taught by American Red Cross Certified instructors.
Eight classes for $50.
Commit to get fit with aqua aerobics. Choose from a fast-paced workout at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday through Friday or the ultra-low impact class at 1:15 p.m. Tuesday and Friday. Classes are 45 minutes long in chest deep water.
Lifeguards-on-duty. Lap swimmers welcome.
For hours and rates, call 239-369-8277 or visit the website at:?www.leeparks.org.
Plant, tree sale planned
A plant sale will be held on the last Wednesday of each month from 9 a.m. to noon at Lakes Regional Park, at 7330 Gladiolus Drive, Fort Myers.
The selection includes succulents, small trees, native plants, herbs, annuals, bromeliads, rose bushes and more.
Master Gardeners will be available to answer any questions.
There is a $1 per hour parking fee, with a maximum of $5.
Farmers markets open across communities
Farmers markets will be held:
- Thursdays from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Centennial Park, at 201 Cleveland Ave., Fort Myers
- Fridays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Florida SouthWestern, at 8099 College Parkway, Fort Myers
- Mondays from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at JetBlue Park at Fenway South, at 11500 Fenway South Drive, Fort Myers
- Saturdays from 1 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Cornog Plaza, at 2400-2438 First St., Fort Myers
- Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Lakes Regional Park, at 7300 Gladiolus Drive, Fort Myers
The Lehigh Children's Choir rehearses from 6-7 p.m. Tuesdays at Cayuga Music Studio, at 1100 Homestead Road.
For additional information, contact 239-368-2488.