Artist of the Month named
- Laura Maciag Milenkevich is the Artist of the Month for February at the Lehigh Acres Senior Citizens Center, at 219 Plaza Drive. For information, call 239-369-5355.
Kiwanis Club presents upcoming speakers
The Lehigh Acres Kiwanis Club meets each week at 7:30 a.m. in the Community Room at Hope Hospice, at 1201 Wings Way.
Future speakers include:
- Today, Feb. 15: Wes Rowe, with Faith Garden of First Presbyterian Church
- Feb. 22: Karole Hamilton, administrator for Lehigh Health and Rehabilitation
- March 1: Bill Truax, with Project Dentist Care
- March 8: Stewart Ross, Kiwanian with Project Formula
Breakfast served at 7 a.m.
The public is invited to attend.
Free seminars planned
Alliance Financial Group will present the following one-hour presentations at 14021 Metropolis Ave., Fort Myers:
- Feb. 16 at 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.: Benefits and drawbacks to 529 plans, Florida Pre-Paid Plan and other traditional college-savings instruments
- Feb. 21 at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.:?Estate planning and domicile workshop for new residents to learn how Florida's laws differ from other states, about declaring residency and how to use the power of Florida's laws to their advantage
- Feb. 23 at 11 a.m. and 6 p.m.: Peter Stahl, author of "Top of the First - The Convergence of Health Care & Financial Planning," will discuss why Medicare planning is a financial must
Free and open to public; however, seating is limited.
Reservations required by calling 239-244-1512 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
General Woman's Club announces speaker
The General Woman's Club of Lehigh Acres will meet on Feb. 17 at 1 p.m. in Sweatlock Hall at the Faith Lutheran Church, at 705 E. Leeland Heights Blvd.
The speaker will be Carol Rooksby-Weidlich, who will talk about genealogy and its growing interest in the area.
Bring contributions for the bakeless bake sale, which will benefit the club's scholarship program and other community services.
For details or to attend, contact Nancy Bragg at 239-634-2572 or email@example.com. Follow on Facebook at: facebook.com/generalwomensclub.
SWFL Women's Business Summit scheduled
The Lee County Economic Development Office will host the SWFL Women's Business Summit on Feb. 17 from 8:30 a.m. to noon at Florida SouthWestern State College, Building U, 8099 College Parkway, Fort Myers.
The event is free and registration will begin at 8 a.m.
The event will feature speakers Donna Noce, president of White House Black Market, and Julia Pimsleur, author, speaker and founder of Little Pim, one of the nation's women-run businesses backed by venture capital.
The summit will include breakout sessions covering topics such as credit-fraud protection, access to capital and brand creation.
To register for the event, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Free fishing seminars
Bass Pro Shops of Fort Myers will host free seminars with national professional fishermen as part of its annual Spring Fishing Classic.
The free seminars will be held in the conservation room on the following dates and times:
- Feb. 17 at 7 p.m.: Rick Clunn
- Feb. 17 at 8 p.m.: Roland Martin
- Feb. 18 at 1 p.m.: Rick Clunn
- Feb. 18 at 2 p.m.: Roland Martin
- Feb. 19 at 1 p.m.: Billy and Rob Delph
- Feb. 19 at 2 p.m.: Roland Martin
- March 4 at 1 p.m.: Brent Chapman
- March 5 at 1 p.m.: Brent Chapman
For information, visit online at: www.bassproshops.com/fortmyers or call 239-461-7800.
Lehigh Concert Band lists performances
The Lehigh Concert Band will perform the following concerts at 3 p.m. at Faith Lutheran Church, at 705 E. Leeland Heights Blvd.:
- Feb. 19
- March 19
All of the concerts are free, with donations accepted.
The Lehigh Concert Band is always accepting new musicians who play at a senior high school, college level or above.
The band also offers a scholarship program to encourage young players to join.
VegHeads 4-H Youth Club to host bus tour
The VegHeads 4-H Youth Club will host a bus tour on Feb. 25 from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. starting from the North Fort Myers Recreation Center, at 9200 North Recreation Park Way, North Fort Myers.
Stops include a bee farm, citrus grove, vegetable grove, seed company, home farm and ECHO. It will serve as a fundraiser for the VegHeads 4-H Youth Club.
Registration is $75 per person and includes lunch. To register, visit online at: www.eventbrite.com and search for "VegHeads Bus."
Checks can also be made to "Lee County 4-H" and mailed to Lee County 4-H, P.O. Box 3267, North Fort Myers, FL 33918. Write "VegHeads Bus" on the check and include name, address and phone number.
For information, contact Karen Harty at 610-530-8883.
ReptiDay Ft. Myers set
ReptiDay Ft. Myers will be held on Feb. 25 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Fort Myers at the Bell Tower Shops, at 13051 Bell Tower Drive, Fort Myers.
VIP early entry at 9:30 a.m.
It features vendors offering reptile pets, supplies, feeders, cages and merchandise, as well as live animal seminars and free raffles.
Admission is $10 for adults and $5 for children ages 5-12; children under 5 are free.
For information and offers on tickets, visit online at: repticon.com/florida/reptiday-ft-myers/.
Gulf Coast Writers Association to meet
The Gulf Coast Writers Association will meet on Feb. 25 from 10 a.m. to noon at the Foulds Theatre, at 10091 McGregor Blvd, Fort Myers.
The winners of the 2016 Annual Writing Contest will be announced during a special awards ceremony.
There will be live jazz and light refreshments.
First-time guests are free.
For information, visit online at: gulfwriters.org/ or call 770-906-7885.
LCSO to hold safety seminars
The Lee County Sheriff's Office will host a series of educational seminars at the United Healthcare Medicare Store, at 6900 Daniels Parkway, Unit 23-C, Fort Myers.
The following dates and topics are planned:
- Feb. 28: Traffic Unit - Can you turn right on a red arrow?
- March 7: Take a virtual tour of the jail
- March 28: Vehicle Burglary and Theft - Is your vehicle a target?
- April 4: Personal Safety - At home and away
- April 25: Dive Team - CSI under water
- May 2: Internet Safety for Seniors
- May 30: Aviation - How criminals are found from the air
- June 6: Active Shooter for the Community - What should you do?
- June 27: Agriculture Unit - How do they protect the animals?
- July 25: ID Theft - How vulnerable are you?
- Aug. 1: SS Benefits Hacking - Are your benefits safe?
- Aug. 29: Home Improvement Fraud - What you need to know
- Sept. 5: Residential Security - Are you a target for a burglar?
- Sept. 26: Cell Dogs - Meet the dogs and learn how they are trained
Each session will begin at 10 a.m. and last about an hour.
Seating is limited; reservations required at 239-561-9142.
Presentation on region's invasive plants, animals
Lee County's Conservation 20/20 will host a free presentation on Feb. 28 at 7 p.m. at the Interpretive Center at Six Mile Cypress Slough Preserve, at 7751 Penzance Blvd., Fort Myers.
Staff from Conservation 20/20 will discuss several invasive plant and animal species not native to Southwest Florida and their harmful impact on natural areas and native plants and wildlife.
The presentation will also include information about management efforts being undertaken at the Conservation 20/20 preserves to control invasive populations.
Advance reservations required; to make a reservation, contact Jason Boeckman at 239-204-1125.
For more information, visit online at: www.Conservation2020.org.
Annual Irish Festival set
The Cape Coral Irish American Club will host its 13th Annual Irish Festival on March 4 from noon to 8 p.m. and on March from 11 a.m. to 8 a.m. at Sun Splash Family Waterpark, at 400 Santa Barbara Blvd., Cape Coral.
It will feature Irish and Celtic music and entertainment, including the Screaming Orphans, Celtic Stew, Brendan Nolan, Rathskeltair, West of Galway, Kellyn Celtic Arts Irish Dance Academy, Ian Gould, Fiona Molloy, Lee County Pipes and Drums, and Brian Bonner.
There will be a children's tent with free face painting, games, and arts and crafts, as well as carnival rides for a fee.
Food and drinks available on site; free parking.
Admission is $8 for adults, and children ages 12 and under are free.
No pets or coolers allowed.
For information, visit online at: www.capecoralirishamericanclub.org or call Mary O'Neill at 239-540-2161.
Band launches season
The Lee County Community Band will host a concert on March 5 at 3 p.m. in the Cape Coral High School auditorium, at 2300 Santa Barbara Blvd.
It is free and open to the public; donations will be accepted.
The next concert is April 2.
The band is comprised of professional and amateur musicians from Lee, Collier and Charlotte counties. It welcomes new members every year.
For details, call Norman Jones at 239-995-2097 or visit online at: www.leecountyband.org.
Calusa Blueway Speaker Series presents guests
The Calusa Blueway Speaker Series will take place at 6:30 p.m. at the Wa-Ke Hatchee Recreation Center, 16760 Bass Road, Fort Myers, on the following:
- March 7: Gus Bianchi on "Paddling the Florida Circumnavigation Paddling Trail"
- March 11: George Burgess on "International Shark Attack File - Sawfish"
For information, call 239-432-2154 or visit online at: www.fortmyers-sanibel.com.
Italian-American Social Club announces dinner-dance
The St. Raphael's Italian-American Social Club will host a dinner-dance on March 18 from 5 to 9 p.m. in the Parish Hall of the church, at 2514 Lee Blvd.
Entertainment by Jim Marino.
Choice of turkey or meatloaf dinner catered by Two Shea's.
BYOB; mixers and beverages will be supplied.
Tickets are $15 per person.
For details, call Dee at 239-369-4523.
Community pool offers variety of classes
The Lehigh Acres Community Pool, at 1400 W. Fifth St., is heated and open year-round.
A range of swim lesson skill levels are offered, including adult beginners; all taught by American Red Cross Certified instructors.
Eight classes for $50.
Commit to get fit with aqua aerobics. Choose from a fast-paced workout at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday through Friday or the ultra-low impact class at 1:15 p.m. Tuesday and Friday. Classes are 45 minutes long in chest deep water.
Lifeguards-on-duty. Lap swimmers welcome.
For hours and rates, call 239-369-8277 or visit the website at:?www.leeparks.org.
Plant, tree sale planned
A plant sale will be held on the last Wednesday of each month from 9 a.m. to noon at Lakes Regional Park, at 7330 Gladiolus Drive, Fort Myers.
The selection includes succulents, small trees, native plants, herbs, annuals, bromeliads, rose bushes and more.
Master Gardeners will be available to answer any questions.
There is a $1 per hour parking fee, with a maximum of $5.
Farmers markets open
Farmers markets will be held:
- Thursdays from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Centennial Park, at 201 Cleveland Ave., Fort Myers
- Fridays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Florida SouthWestern, at 8099 College Parkway, Fort Myers
- Mondays from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at JetBlue Park at Fenway South, at 11500 Fenway South Drive, Fort Myers
- Saturdays from 1 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Cornog Plaza, at 2400-2438 First St., Fort Myers
- Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Lakes Regional Park, at 7300 Gladiolus Drive, Fort Myers
Lehigh Children's Choir now rehearsing
The Lehigh Children's Choir rehearses from 6-7 p.m. Tuesdays at Cayuga Music Studio, at 1100 Homestead Road.
For information, contact 239-368-2488.