Calusa Blueway Speaker Series presents guests
The Calusa Blueway Speaker Series will take place at 6:30 p.m. at the Wa-Ke Hatchee Recreation Center, 16760 Bass Road, Fort Myers, on the following:
- Feb. 7: James O'Neill on "Greenland Paddles"
- March 7: Gus Bianchi on "Paddling the Florida Circumnavigation Paddling Trail"
- March 11: George Burgess on "International Shark Attack File - Sawfish"
For information, call 239-432-2154 or visit online at: www.fortmyers-sanibel.com.
Drug House Odyssey open for public
Drug House Odyssey - A Lee County Prevention Event will hold its family night on Feb. 8 from 5 to 7 p.m. at the Lee County Civic Center, at 11831 Bayshore Road, North Fort Myers.
Families, scout and youth groups, and prevention advocates are invited to tour the play, which describes the deadly effects of drinking and driving.
It is free of charge and no reservations are needed.
Free seminars set
Alliance Financial Group will present the following one-hour presentations at 14021 Metropolis Ave., Fort Myers:
- Feb. 9 and Feb. 28 at 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.: Strategies to defer up to 25 percent of IRA's required minimum distribution and best technics to maximize Social Security
- Feb. 16 at 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.: Benefits and drawbacks to 529 plans, Florida Pre-Paid Plan and other traditional college-savings instruments
- Feb. 21 at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.:?Estate planning and domicile workshop for new residents to learn how Florida's laws differ from other states, about declaring residency and how to use the power of Florida's laws to their advantage
- Feb. 23 at 11 a.m. and 6 p.m.: Peter Stahl, author of "Top of the First - The Convergence of Health Care & Financial Planning," will discuss why Medicare planning is a financial must
Free and open to public; however, seating is limited.
Reservations required by calling 239-244-1512 or emailing email@example.com.
Cirque Italia returns
Cirque Italia presents the Gold Unit, an experience where technology and preforming arts are mixed to create a one-of-a-kind show.
The new performance will feature an ultra-modern water curtain that controls every droplet of water.
The shows will take place on the following dates and times at JetBlue Park, at 11500 Fenway South Drive, Fort Myers:
- Feb 9 at 7:30 p.m.
- Feb 10 at 7:30 p.m.
- Feb 11 at 2:30, 5:30 and 8:30 p.m.
- Feb 12 at 2:30 and 5:30 p.m.
The on-site box office opens on Feb. 7, running from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on non-show days and from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. on show days.
You can purchase tickets online at 941-704-8572 or online at: cirqueitalia.com/tickets.
For more information, visit online at: www.cirqueitalia.com.
Band launches season
The Lee County Community Band will host a concert on Feb. 12 at 3 p.m. in the Cape Coral High School auditorium, at 2300 Santa Barbara Blvd.
It is free and open to the public; donations will be accepted.
Future concerts are set for March 5 and April 2.
The band is comprised of professional and amateur musicians from Lee, Collier and Charlotte counties. It welcomes new members every year.
For details, call Norman Jones at 239-995-2097 or visit online at: www.leecountyband.org.
Experience Lee County farms as agritourist
The UF/IFAS Lee County Extension will host a day of farm tours in Lee County on Feb. 15 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., departing from Terry Park, at 3410 Palm Beach Blvd., Fort Myers.
The tour will visit four vegetable/small fruit and mixed enterprise farms.
Participants can enjoy an agritourism experience as they see the new trends in agriculture and meet urban farmers.
A fresh, farm-raised lunch will be served farm-to-table style.
The cost is $60 per person.
Make checks payable to LCEOAB and mail to Urban Farm Tour, UF/IFAS Lee County Extension, 3410 Palm Beach Blvd., Fort Myers, FL 33916.
Limited space; make reservations early. To register or for information, contact 239-533-7504 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Free fishing seminars
Bass Pro Shops of Fort Myers will host free seminars with national professional fishermen as part of its annual Spring Fishing Classic.
The free seminars will be held in the conservation room on the following dates and times:
- Feb. 17 at 7 p.m.: Rick Clunn
- Feb. 17 at 8 p.m.: Roland Martin
- Feb. 18 at 1 p.m.: Rick Clunn
- Feb. 18 at 2 p.m.: Roland Martin
- Feb. 19 at 1 p.m.: Billy and Rob Delph
- Feb. 19 at 2 p.m.: Roland Martin
- March 4 at 1 p.m.: Brent Chapman
- March 5 at 1 p.m.: Brent Chapman
For information, visit online at: www.bassproshops.com/fortmyers or call 239-461-7800.
Lehigh Concert Band lists performances
The Lehigh Concert Band will perform the following concerts at 3 p.m. at Faith Lutheran Church, at 705 E. Leeland Heights Blvd.:
- Feb. 19
- March 19
All of the concerts are free, with donations accepted.
The Lehigh Concert Band is always accepting new musicians who play at a senior high school, college level or above.
The band also offers a scholarship program to encourage young players to join.
VegHeads 4-H Youth Club to host bus tour
The VegHeads 4-H Youth Club will host a bus tour on Feb. 25 from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. starting from the North Fort Myers Recreation Center, at 9200 North Recreation Park Way, North Fort Myers.
Stops include a bee farm, citrus grove, vegetable grove, seed company, home farm and ECHO. It will serve as a fundraiser for the VegHeads 4-H Youth Club.
Registration is $75 per person and includes lunch. To register, visit online at: www.eventbrite.com and search for "VegHeads Bus."
Checks can also be made to "Lee County 4-H" and mailed to Lee County 4-H, P.O. Box 3267, North Fort Myers, FL 33918. Write "VegHeads Bus" on the check and include name, address and phone number.
For information, contact Karen Harty at 610-530-8883.
ReptiDay Ft. Myers set
ReptiDay Ft. Myers will be held on Feb. 25 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Fort Myers at the Bell Tower Shops, at 13051 Bell Tower Drive, Fort Myers.
VIP early entry at 9:30 a.m.
It features vendors offering reptile pets, supplies, feeders, cages and merchandise, as well as live animal seminars and free raffles.
Admission is $10 for adults and $5 for children ages 5-12; children under 5 are free.
For information and offers on tickets, visit online at: repticon.com/florida/reptiday-ft-myers/.
Community pool offers variety of classes
The Lehigh Acres Community Pool, at 1400 W. Fifth St., is heated and open year-round.
A range of swim lesson skill levels are offered, including adult beginners; all taught by American Red Cross Certified instructors.
Eight classes for $50.
Commit to get fit with aqua aerobics. Choose from a fast-paced workout at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday through Friday or the ultra-low impact class at 1:15 p.m. Tuesday and Friday. Classes are 45 minutes long in chest deep water.
Lifeguards-on-duty. Lap swimmers welcome.
For hours and rates, call 239-369-8277 or visit the website at:?www.leeparks.org.
Plant, tree sale planned
A plant sale will be held on the last Wednesday of each month from 9 a.m. to noon at Lakes Regional Park, at 7330 Gladiolus Drive, Fort Myers.
The selection includes succulents, small trees, native plants, herbs, annuals, bromeliads, rose bushes and more.
Master Gardeners will be available to answer any questions.
There is a $1 per hour parking fee, with a maximum of $5.
Farmers markets open
Farmers markets will be held:
- Thursdays from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Centennial Park, at 201 Cleveland Ave., Fort Myers
- Fridays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Florida SouthWestern, at 8099 College Parkway, Fort Myers
- Mondays from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at JetBlue Park at Fenway South, at 11500 Fenway South Drive, Fort Myers
- Saturdays from 1 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Cornog Plaza, at 2400-2438 First St., Fort Myers
- Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Lakes Regional Park, at 7300 Gladiolus Drive, Fort Myers
Children's choir now rehearsing
The Lehigh Children's Choir rehearses from 6-7 p.m. Tuesdays at Cayuga Music Studio, at 1100 Homestead Road.
For information, contact 239-368-2488.